Friday, December 23, 2005

Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays!

Yesterday I called someone and as I won’t be talking to her until next year I wished her “Happy Holidays” at the end of conversation. She wished me with “Merry Christmas”

I was upset. I felt that she did not like me not including Jesus in the celebrations!
Apparently there is huge debate between fundamentalist Christians and Liberal Americans. Liberals say that as Hanukah a Jewish festival is also during this time and therefore let us say "Happy Holidays". Fundamentalist Christian oppose that idea. Last week I traveled to rural part of Wisconsin. I read a billboard: "Merry Christmas: Let there be Jusus in Celebrations!"

I am not a Christian so it really doesn’t matter to me how people wish me; Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays! But it really matters what I say, as I don’t want to hurt anyone's religious feelings.

Well if I know that the person is Christian I would say Merry Christmas or Happy Hanukah to a Jew! Happy Holidays sounds as if I am an not really sharing their feelings. But in this case I did not if she is a Christian or Jew.

Today morning I read a nice commentary by Annie Korzen on NPR’s Morning edition, She was raised in a secular household, and has never been comfortable celebrating Hanukkah or Christmas. It was so nice that it made me think about festivity and religion.

I think festivals are celebrated in minds and homes. If you wish somebody as an inclusionist, your feelings will be shared, hearts will be connected.

Today I have received an email from her and she concluded it by saying “Happy Holidays”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home