Friday, December 23, 2005

Makadwala


Makadwala

I don’t know his name. Yeah..even though I am seeing him for last 20 to 23 years I don’t know his real name. We called him Makadwala…means Monkey Man!

He had couple of Monkeys He had trained them and showed their mini circus in my Grandparents house in Dombivali, India.
I grew up watching that show. But until recently never realized that he never had the same monkey each time.

We used to give the monkey coins for their master and my Grandma gave old clothes and leftover foods. That is how Makadwala earned his livelihood.

Last October when I visited my Grandparents, I met him again. I was surprised. He had no monkey this time. When asked he said that Forest department has taken possession of his Monkeys under some rule and he has no job. He knows nothing than capturing and training the moneys and at the age of 62 he can not learn anything else.

I felt pity about that old man, but felt good about the Government. Now there is hope that monkeys do not have to entertain humans for their bread and butter.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ashish Shrivastava said...

शांतनु,

आपके चिठ्ठे पर मेरे चिठ्ठे का लिंक देख कर अच्छा लगा. उससे भी अच्छा आपका चिठ्ठा लगा.
लिखते रहिये. हम पढते रहेंगे.

आशीष

5:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home